Wayne County Medical Examiner identifies bodies found Sunday as two missing Hamtramck women

DETROIT (WXYZ) - The Wayne County Medical Examiner now says the two bodies found in a shallow grave Sunday are those of two missing Hamtramck women.

The ME's office also says that 18-year-old Abreeya Brown and 22-year-old Ashley Conaway were shot.

Detroit Police and Hamtramck Police searched a wooded area near 6 Mile and Telegraph by a riverbed after receiving a tip. 

"We have unearthed in a shallow grave, the remains of two females, on the surface fit the description of the two young ladies we were looking for," said Detroit Police Chief Ralph Godbee at the time.

Sources tell 7 Action News that the shallow grave had tree logs placed over it. They also found articles of clothing believed to belong to one of the women nearby.

Sources also tell 7 Action News, a shovel that did not have rust on it, was found close to the crime scene.

"I'm just devastated," said Jacquelyn Porter. Porter is Abreeya's aunt. She rushed to the scene with other family members to talk with police when they heard the bodies were found. "I can't believe that someone would do this to those girls," she said.

Around 5:00 p.m. Sunday, sources say one of the bodies was pulled from the grave. The location is less than two miles from Eliza Howell Park where police searched for the missing women earlier this month, and close to where a grey burned out car was found that the girls were believed to be abducted in. 

The women were kidnapped at gunpoint outside the home they shared with Abreeya's stepfather in Hamtramck on February 28. The stepfather has said that he exchanged gunfire with the two men who kidnapped the women.

Conaway's ex-boyfriend 26-year-old Brandon Cain, and his friend, 24-year-old Brian Lee, are suspected in the abduction. Both are in custody on other charges after they shot at the women on February 8 when police say Cain didn't want his relationship with Conaway to end. 

In the weeks leading up to the kidnapping, police say Cain tried to pay the women thousands of dollars in hopes that they would refuse to testify that he and Lee were involved in the shooting.

Family members say finding the women brings some closure and now they want justice.            

"Life without parole with what they did here. They deserve it. They took these girls lives away from them forever.  They might as well not be out here either," said Porter.

When asked if Cain and Lee could soon be facing murder charges, Chief Ralph Godbee says that they are a long way from that. He said more evidence would need to be collected and then everything would have to be sent over to the prosecutor's office for them to make their determination.

The autopsies will be done Monday morning.

Print this article Back to Top