DETROIT (WXYZ) - A 5-month-old girl died after, sources say, it appears the baby suffocated on a plastic bag that was left nearby on the bed where she had been sleeping.
What appears to be a heartbreaking accident happened around 7:00 a.m. Thursday on the 3000 block of Rochester in Detroit.
Mariah Charleston was pronounced dead at Henry Ford Hospital.
The baby's father, Prophet Charleston, tells 7 Action News that Mariah's mother went to check on her and found a plastic bag that had been full of dirty clothes was partially covering Mariah's face.
Mariah was unresponsive and they rushed her to the hospital.
Charleston is hoping his heartbreaking loss will be a wakeup call to others to always be careful what they place near a baby.
"Not have clothes or nothing lingering around where they can grab or cover themselves up with because you might wind up in the situation I'm in and I would hate for any other parent to go through this," said Prophet Charleston.
An official cause of death will be determined after an autopsy that is set for Friday morning.