Scheduled Detroit City Council meeting may be called off in wake of lawsuit filed over EM law

DETROIT (WXYZ) - The Detroit City Council has a full session set for 10 o'clock Tuesday morning but the meeting may be called off.

7 Action News has now confirmed that a telephone conversation between City Council President Charles Pugh and Detroit Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr did take place.  

A spokesperson for Pugh says Pugh "does not wish to comment on their discussion." 

A lawsuit filed by activist Robert Davis challenges the authority of the City Council to take any action under Public Act 436, the new Emergency Manager Law that went into effect on March 28. 

That law says the EM "shall act for and in the place and stead of the governing body" meaning City Council.

On a related note, Davis tells 7 Action News that the state filed late Monday a motion in court in Lansing to delay depositions of Michigan Governor Rick Snyder, State Treasurer Andy Dillon and Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr that were set to take place Tuesday morning in Detroit. 

Davis and his group Citizens United Against Corrupt Government are suing to find out what led to Orr's appointment by Snyder, and whether there is a conflict of interest with Orr and his previous law firm.

Jones Day also working on Detroit's restructuring. 

Davis says state officials want a hearing on those depositions but not until another month.  It is not yet known what will be the next step in that case. 

So far, four lawsuits have been filed, three in state court and one in federal court over the Emergency Manager running the City of Detroit.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments