Detroit City Council working on consent agreement extension in effort to avoid an Emergency Manager
10:11 AM, Feb 26, 2013
5:40 PM, Feb 26, 2013
DETROIT (WXYZ) - The 7 Action News team has learned Detroit City Council is working behind-the-scenes on a trial balloon that would be used to try to avoid a state takeover.
The document was drawn by the research and development department and was to be discussed in a closed session this afternoon with city council, legal counsel and the mayor's office.
The session was canceled after the Detroit Free Press said their closed-door meeting violated the open meetings act.
In addition, Councilwomen Joann Watson wants the city to research a constitutional challenge to the new state takeover law that was drawn up by the lame duck legislature in December to replace the law that was repealed by voters in November.
Michigan Governor Rick Snyder said last week he wants to meet face-to-face with Detroit City Council members and Detroit Mayor Dave Bing before he decides on a takeover.
A financial review team made the recommendation to the governor after a 2-month review of Detroit City finances found a $14-billion long term debt and no plan to fix it.
The governor has three more weeks to make his decision and the city would have 10 days after that to request a hearing before an Emergency Financial Manager would take over.