Baby suffers third degree burns in Monroe after her brother sets her crib blanket on fire

MONROE, Mich. (WXYZ) - A 7-month-old girl is in the hospital after getting severely burned inside her Monroe home Friday morning.

Police tell 7 Action News it appears her 4-year-old brother set fire to a crib blanket inside of the home.

According to police, the baby was asleep inside of the crib, and her brother was playing with a lighter when the fire started. The fire then spread to the mattress inside of the crib.

The parents of the children rushed to the nursery and poured water on the fire after hearing smoke alarms going off.

The child suffered burns to her left side, back, head and hand. She is currently in stable condition at U of M C.S. Mott Hospital in Ann Arbor.

Child Protective Services is investigating the incident, but it appears to be an accident so far.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments