Suspect dead in killing of West Bloomfield police officer

WEST BLOOMFIELD, Mich. (WXYZ) - 7 Action News has confirmed that Ricky Coley, the suspect who is believed to be responsible for the death of police officer Patrick O'Rourke, is now dead.

Police tried for hours to get the barricaded gunman to come out of the home. He unleashed rounds of gunfire throughout the day.

West Bloomfield police say after several attempts to get in contact with the suspect, a robot was sent in.

The robot saw the man motionless in bed.

The West Bloomfield Township Supervisor says Coley was found in the bed with knives, guns and white goggles.

The Oakland County Sheriff's Office Special Response Team found the suspect. His cause of death has not been released.

Police have reopened Pontiac Trial, the street near the subdivision where Coley was barricaded, and are expected to allow residents back into their homes Monday night.

Court documents obtained by 7 Action News reveal that a judge had just granted a divorce to Coley's wife six days ago. The judge also ordered Coley's wife to have sole custody of the couple's 7-year-old boy.

The suspect, Ricky Coley, had been ordered out of his West Bloomfield house by today.

The couple was also supposed to have a court hearing Monday morning with Friend of the Court.

According to court records, Mrs. Coley filed for divorce over the summer, accusing her husband of infidelity, emotional abuse, and of physically attacking her in June causing serious injuries.

The judge ordered Ricky Coley to leave his home by today and to pay $190 a week in child support.

According to his social media sites, Ricky specialized in venture capital and private equity, and he was looking for growing or distressed businesses to buy. He previously worked at General Motors and Ford, and served in the Army in the 1980s.

There were also financial issues.

Coley was hit with a federal lawsuit from the U.S. Department of Labor last month. The government accuses him of pocketing $341,000 from a now defunct transportation company called Translogic. Coley was in charge of the company's bank account and the money was supposed to go to his employees insurance plan.

Coley, according to court records, was also slapped with two judgments against him in 2010 with the courts finding him in default to two banks for about $52,000 and $43,000 in each case.

Print this article Back to Top