Smoldering cigarette sparks fire that kills Mother and 10-month-old baby in St. Clair County

(WXYZ) CASCO TOWNSHIP, Mich. - Investigators in St. Clair County say a cigarette left on a couch cushion is what started a fire that killed a woman and her 10-month-old baby.

The woman's four-year-old twins, a boy and a girl, were able to be pulled out alive and are being treated at Children's Hospital in Detroit.

The fire broke out around 9:30 p.m. Wednesday in the 5200 block of Bud Lane in Casco Township.

Ira Township firefighters found the 30-year-old mother in the living room where they say the fire started. We're told the flames were contained to the living room but the heavy smoke spread throughout the home. The children were found in their bedrooms.

STAY WITH ACTION NEWS AND WXYZ.COM FOR UPDATES

Print this article Back to Top

Comments