Firefighters battle blaze in an Ann Arbor apartment complex where mostly U of M students reside

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (WXYZ) - Ann Arbor firefighters responded to a fire in an apartment building in the 1800 block of Shirley, in the Willow Tree Apartments early Monday morning.

Firefighters were called to the scene shortly before 3:30 a.m. and found flames coming from the roof and a second story window.

Approximately 30 residents mostly students from the University of Michigan had to evacuate the building and ten of them are being assisted by management for Willowtree Apartments and the University with temporary housing.

Firefighters from Ypsilanti, Ypsilanti Township and Pittsfield Township were called in to assist the Ann Arbor Fire Department.

Relief workers from the Red Cross were also on the scene assisting residents and firefighters who were working in the hot and humid conditions.

Investigators say the fire appears to have been started by an electrical problem.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments