A family of 7 is rushed to the hospital after a possible carbon monoxide poisoning scare.

DETROIT, Mich. (WXYZ) - Scary moments for a family of seven after a possible carbon monoxide poisoning scare.  The six children who were in the home range in age from 1-years-old to 12-years-old. 

Nicole Jackson barely managed to get her kids out of the house to call for help.  She started feeling ill around 3 p.m. Saturday.

Two of the children who felt sick were unresponsive when EMS crews got to the house.  One of the kids has since woken up.  The other one is still being treated at the hospital.

 "The fumes were so bad that one of the kids wouldn't wake up," said Aaron Perry.  His 7-year-old daughter had to be carried out of the home along with his 2-year-old daughter after they stopped responding to their mother.

"I said, if you can, if you have enough strength, get all the kids and go outside and get some air," said Perry.

He rushed to the home after the EMS crews arrived.  He said when Jackson called him she felt sick.  DTE picked up carbon monoxide readings in the house.

"When she woke up she was real drowsy and fell down the stairs and tried to get all the kids out the house and everything so i got out here as quick as I can because i was going to go in and get them all out of the house," said Perry.

DTE had been at the home on Monday to reconnect service for the family.  Perry said that Jackson had to pay a $1,200 DTE bill to get the gas and electricity turned back on and is now behind on her mortgage.  A spokesperson said that when a crew responded to a possible gas leak they found a crack in the furnace.

"The one was unconscious they all was in the van.  The mom was carrying the little girl and EMS was giving them treatments and stuff that nature," said Cortez

The family and neighbors say they could also smell gas, possibly from a pipe in the basement, but DTE tells 7 action news there did find any signs of a gas leak.

"Really bad, and really sad.  I hope the kids will be all right," said Chapman.

Perry tells 7 Action News that for the time being the family will not be going back to the house.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments