INKSTER, Mich. (WXYZ) - Twenty-one people, including 10 families, are now seeking shelter after a fire forced them to evacuate their apartment.
Firefighters tell us the Dartmouth Square complex, which is in Inkster, caught fire early Thursday morning.
Investigators believe a woman was barbecuing on her third floor balcony Wednesday afternoon, which isn't allowed. They believe an ember flew off the charcoal grill, causing flammable building material to smolder for hours before finally igniting.
Officials do not intend to pursue criminal charges since they believe this was an accident.
Nobody was hurt, but the people living in these apartments unfortunately lost everything.
The complex is located in the 26000 block of Colgate, just west of Beech Daly.
The Wayne Westland Fire Association has set up a non-profit organization to assist fire victims. Donations can be made by contacting Assistant Fire Chief John Adams at firstname.lastname@example.org .