(WXYZ) - Police have issued an advisory after a coyote was spotted in Grosse Pointe Woods.
A coyote was sighted in the area of Torrey and Elford Court Sunday.
Authorities recommend watching small pets when letting them outside at night.
The Michigan Department of Natural Resources say coyotes can be difficult to distinguish from a medium-sized German shepherd dog from a distance.
In urban areas, coyotes are attracted to garbage, garden vegetables, and pet foods. They will also prey on unattended small dogs and cats, if opportunities exist. They usually feed at night.
The DNR also says coyotes rarely attack humans. However the following can help minimize potential conflicts with coyotes:
- Never approach or touch a coyote
- Never intentionally feed a coyote
- Eliminate all outside food sources, especially pet foods
- Put garbage out the morning of pickup day
- Clear out wood and brush piles; they are good habitat for rats and mice and may attract coyotes
- Good husbandry practices, guard animals, and coyote control measures can help to protect livestock
- Do not allow pets to roam free when coyotes are present - consider keeping pets indoors or accompany them outside, especially at night