Police release a sketch of a man accused of killing a Navy Petty Officer on leave in Detroit

DETROIT, Mich. (WXYZ) - One month after a Navy Petty Officer is killed, police and the family are asking for help solving his murder.

Petty Officer Terrence Hill Jr. was shot and killed while home on leave for a short weekend January 4.

"All his goals that he had, someone just ripped that away from him," said Terrence's mother Julie Spencer.  The last time she saw her son he had just gotten home to Troy for that weekend visit.  He was stationed at the Great Lakes Naval Station near Waukegan, Illinois.  Hill had only been home for a few hours when he went out to Detroit for the night.

"He came in the kitchen and peeked his head in to see what he was cooking and I told him to give me a hug and a kiss.  I said I'll see you later, and he said okay mom, I'll see you later," said Spencer.

A Detroit police officer showed up at his mother's front door at 5 a.m.  Someone had shot Hill in the chest and killed him after he fought back when they tried to rob him.

"His first tattoo he got was my name, Julia.  Right across his heart right there, and they shot him, right there," said Spencer.

It happened January 4, on 7 Mile and Meyers in Detroit.  Two men came up to Hill while he sat in his vehicle with a female friend and demanded their money and valuables.

"He was ordered out of the vehicle by the shooter and the shooter started to beat him with a hand gun and during the struggle that's when the shot went off," said Sgt. Charles Clark with the Detroit Police Department.

They stole Hill's boots. 

Police have followed up on a few leads but said that they need more to bring Hill's killer to justice.  This has been a difficult month for Spencer who cannot help but to constantly re-read the last text message her son sent before he got home that weekend.

"He texted me on the third.  January 3rd and said, I'm on my way.  Instead of him being on his way home, he's in Heaven now," said Spencer.

Hill was a 2006 graduate of Detroit School of Arts.  He enlisted in the Navy when he was 17 years old. The family wants answers and closure and to find out who stole Hill's dream of becoming a Military Police Officer. 

"It won't bring him back, but it can help, so if you know anything please call 1-800-SPEAK-UP to help our family heal. Please," said Spencer.

Crime Stoppers is offering a cash reward of up to $12,500 for information that leads to an arrest.

Police have a sketch of one of the men who robbed Hill. He is described as having a dark complexion, 5'7", a small build and in his 20s wearing a black skull cap with a white line.  The second suspect is described as being dressed in all white.

Print this article Back to Top