RIVERVIEW, Mich. (WXYZ) - Safety concerns cloud this year's Cruisin Downriver event. Thousands will still show up to see classic cars drive by on Fort Street, but some officials are warning you stay home.
Fearing for the safety of hundreds of thousands of car lovers, Riverview's Mayor Andrew Swift admits he thought this year's extravaganza would not go on.
The annual event, going 17 years strong, brought out more than 300,000 last year to Fort Street.
But this year, there's no official sponsors or organizers.
Swift says the Downriver Chamber of Commerce backed out because of money concerns, and no others have stepped up. That meant no planning meetings far in advance to deal with all the issues that come with such a large event.
Cars drive through Lincoln Park, Riverview, Southgate, and Wyandotte.
A major concern now is added traffic on Fort Street from the closing of I-75 South. We're also told traffic lights will operate as normal.
In other years, they would flash yellow, which could make this a congested nightmare.
If you do come out, Swift says to watch from the northbound side of the road. We're told it will cost his city $10,000 in overtime for his officers, a figure that's usually at least partially paid back each year.
That won't happen now.
Cruisin Downriver is set to take place on June 24th - Saturday.