Romulus family asks for WXYZ's help after waiting for loved one's monument paid in full 7 months ago

Widow wants to properly mourn wife of 65 years

ROMULUS, Mich. (WXYZ) - A Romulus man didn’t want Mother’s Day to pass without being able to see a fitting monument on his late wife’s grave.  But more than 7 months after paying for it, he started to worry.  So his family asked WXYZ for help.

“I go there every day,” said Nathaniel Butler referring to the cemetery where his wife of 65 years is buried.

The 88-year-old visits Marjorie’s gravesite daily, but the tombstone he ordered is still not there more than seven months after he paid for it in full.

"She, she was a beautiful person,” Butler said. "She would say, 'I'm not dying. I'm just flying away.'"

The mother of four boys loved butterflies, so her family ordered them to frame her name on the tombstone.

Mr. Butler ordered her headstone on September 11, 2013.  He paid the full amount of $2094.07.

His son Byron has called the monument company eight to 10 times asking where the tombstone is.

“A whole lot of promises and excuses,” explained Byron Butler.

The first sign of any movement on the part of the company was a foundation that was put in place mid-April. The Butlers said the company had told them the foundation would go in before winter.

7 Action News called the company  -- Arnet's Monuments out of Ypsilanti.

The owner Caryl Arnet emailed a statement that said in part:

Granite will take typically 4 to 6 weeks to receive from the quarry before production can begin... The purchase date of 9/11/13 plus 6 - 8 weeks takes us into Oct. 23 - Nov. 6th.  Our weather was not conducive to us pouring the cement foundation that supports the memorial…I am sorry that the family has had to wait as other family's have as well.  We are anxious to complete our work and help all of our families complete this very important tribute."

The company put the tombstone in place three days later.

Nathaniel Butler came there that day to see the monument for himself.

Our cameras were rolling Tuesday when his son Byron got to see the newly installed headstone.

His father was feeling under the weather, so he didn't accompany him. 

But Byron was glad to report that his father was able to see the new headstone during his daily visit Monday.

"He's satisfied.  He's satisfied that it's in.  So when he comes up here we can get some grass in.  We can bring some flowers," said Byron Butler.  "I'm glad Channel 7 helped us out. And I appreciate it. Absolutely,” he added.

Print this article Back to Top