ADRIAN, Mich. (AP) - Police in southern Michigan crews responded to a chemical release and people nearby were asked to stay in their homes.
No injuries were reported Friday morning in Adrian, about 60 miles southwest of Detroit. Police say there was no immediate threat to the public.
Police say in a statement that a barrel containing 30 to 35 gallons of nitric acid was letting off gas after reacting with a small amount of sodium hydroxide.
Roads nearby were closed and the fire department advised residents and others within one-tenth of a mile of the area to stay in their homes.
The Lenawee County hazardous materials team was called out to the scene along with the county's emergency management office.