DETROIT (AP) - A hearing for a Detroit police officer blamed for the death of a 7-year-old girl during a raid has been postponed.
Joseph Weekley's hearing had been set for Friday, but the prosecutor's office says it's been rescheduled for March 21. At the hearing a judge could set a new trial date, months after a jury couldn't reach a unanimous verdict in Weekley's involuntary manslaughter trial.
There is no dispute Weekley's gun went off, killing Aiyana Stanley-Jones while she slept on a couch in 2010. He says it was an accident.
On Friday, in another Wayne County courtroom, the man whom police were trying to find during the raid will be sentenced Friday for first-degree murder. Chauncey Owens was convicted of killing a 17-year-old boy outside a Detroit store in 2010.