Michigan: Detroit schools no longer 'high risk'

DETROIT (AP) - The state of Michigan is easing some financial oversight of Detroit's public schools.

The district has struggled financially for years but its "high-risk status" has been dropped by the state Education Department. The change announced Monday means Detroit schools no longer have to have certain state-approved improvement.

The district says it also gets more discretion over spending.

Michigan labeled Detroit schools as high risk after the federal government in 2008 raised questions about $53 million in spending. Those issues have been resolved.

State-appointed emergency manager Jack Martin still will run the district. Michigan says it will continue monitoring the district's financial performance.

Detroit has 49,000 students, a drop of about 2 percent over last year but a smaller decrease than previous years.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments