Teens set themselves on fire for social media challenge

(WXYZ) - One person has died in New York from a dangerous new trend popping up on social media where young people are posting videos of setting themselves on fire.

The teens are dousing themselves in hand sanitizer, rubbing alcohol or fingernail polish remover and then lighting themselves on fire for fun.They then post the videos to Instagram or Twitter using #firechallenge.

This is incredibly dangerous for multiple reasons, according to Ferndale Fire Marshall Brian Batten.

By attempting this challenge, people are exposing their skin to 600 degree heat that can cause severe burns, damage to the lungs and even death.

On top of that, there is also a threat from the exposure of scorching vapors. 

The teens try the stunt near a water source, but it only takes one or two seconds to cause long-term effects that require multiple surgeries. 

Batten urges parents to talk to their kids about the dangers of fire because just one conversation could save their lives.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments