Need-to-know messages for how to celebrate safely
MSU Spartans celebrate with class. In fact, 9 out of 10 watch out for friends to make sure they stay safe. Taking part in destructive gatherings and burning furniture are NOT Spartan traditions. To celebrate MSU successes like a true Spartan, follow these simple guidelines and share them with your friends:
- DO NOT attend large gatherings that block the street or sidewalks.
- DO NOT start, stoke, or fuel ANY type of fire.
- DO NOT be a bystander. If someone you know is about to do something dumb, stop them.
- COOPERATE with police.
- IMMEDIATELY leave any unlawful gathering - even just observing IS participating. Better yet, don’t go in the first place.
- Anyone within 300 feet of an open fire that is not actively leaving the area faces a misdemeanor charge. This is punishable by up to 90 days in jail and a $500 fine.
- Any student who is found responsible for participating in an unlawful assembly or riot is subject to disciplinary sanctions, including suspension or expulsion from his/her school.
- If you believe your rights have been violated by a police officer, obtain the officer’s badge number and consider filing a formal complaint at a later date.
- These types of events are an embarassment to our community and our university. Don’t allow your degree to be devalued.