This has been an extraordinary time as Americans face historic challenges that the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic has presented. Our nation does not shy away from adversity, however, Americans are coming together across the country to help in every way they can. It is remarkable and inspiring to see our people responding in ways to make an impact, no matter how large or small.
The COVID-19 pandemic has provided challenges in many aspects of our lives and one of the hardest areas hit is the job market. The unemployment rate has dropped to all-time lows and many families are searching for answers. The U.S. Army is made up of people from your communities and we want to do our part to help Michiganders get back on their feet.
It has been discovered that 50% of young people admit they know little to nothing about military service and with only 1% of the population currently serving our veteran population is declining. With this trend continuing the knowledge gap about the Army opportunities will increase. The U.S. Army and Army Reserve would like to help our fellow Michiganders make an informed decision by highlighting the top 5 reasons Soldiers decided to serve.
1. TRAINING OF CHOICE: The Army allows you to choose your career from one of over 150 different jobs you qualify for. Many of these jobs are the same ones you can do in the civilian work force such as STEM related jobs, law enforcement, engineering, medical and human resources to name a few. The best advantage is you are earning a pay check while you are receiving your training instead of paying a college or trade school.
2. GUARANTEED SALARY: It’s more than just a salary. The Army provides a guaranteed salary based on your pay grade but there are additional allowances that make up the total Army compensation package. You will also receive an allowance for housing, food and health/dental insurance for you and your family. Some additional family support programs include affordable child-care, legal assistance services and inexpensive shopping at the Post Exchange and Commissary.
3. EDUCATIONAL BENEFITS: In the Army you can earn a college degree and graduate debt free. With the Post 9/11 GI Bill you can serve 3 years on active duty and receive 100% tuition at most state-funded universities. The Post 9/11 GI Bill also provides you an allowance for housing and text books. While serving you can also receive 100% tuition assistance each year up to $4,500. If you already have student loans the Army will also pay up to $50,000 of your qualifying student leads.
4. LEADERSHIP SKILLS: When you add Army Soldier to your resume employers know they are getting an employee that came from the premier institution that provides real world leadership. You will be placed into leadership positions at some of the lowest levels of our organization and hold high levels of responsibility and authority.
5. TRAVEL: The Army has installations all over the world and they pay to move you and your family to all of your assignments. You also get 30 days of paid leave each year so you can travel and see the world. The Army also has several low-cost resorts around the world, including the Hale Koa resort in Hawaii, Shades of Green at Disney World and resorts in Japan, Germany and South Korea. You can also use the Space-A flight program to travel the world for free.
We understand this is a difficult time for all of us, and we are not insensitive to everyone's circumstances. Throughout history, our nation called and we answered. It is an honor to serve this country and serve all of you. For more information contact your local Recruiter or go to goarmy.com.