Flood Warning issued February 20 at 10:31AM EST expiring February 23 at 7:00AM EST in effect for: Wayne
Flood Warning issued February 20 at 10:31AM EST expiring February 22 at 6:06PM EST in effect for: Wayne
Flood Warning issued February 20 at 10:31AM EST expiring February 22 at 6:00AM EST in effect for: Macomb
Areal Flood Watch issued February 20 at 3:54AM EST expiring February 21 at 4:00PM EST in effect for: Bay, Genesee, Huron, Lapeer, Lenawee, Livingston, Macomb, Midland, Monroe, Oakland, Saginaw, Saint Clair, Sanilac, Shiawassee, Tuscola, Washtenaw, Wayne
'Light Up the Season' at downtown Detroit's Campus Martius Park with WXYZ Channel 7
5:09 PM, Nov 15, 2013
9:04 PM, Nov 22, 2013
DETROIT (WXYZ) - Channel 7 is proud to be a part of the activities at downtown Detroit's Campus Martius Park.
We're proud to have joined you at the park on Friday evening, November 22 for our live special, Light Up the Season. The half hour special featured the lighting of the city's official Christmas tree.
YOU WILL BE ABLE TO WATCH A REPLAY OF THE SHOW HERE SHORTLY
Here's a rundown of all the activities available this winter at Campus Martius Park.
This 2013 Tree Lighting event celebrateD the 10th Anniversary of the tree lighting at Campus Martius Park and the grand opening of the Park in November 2004. The 14 week season runs from November 22 to March 2, 2013 and includes many new additions and first time enhancements.
Key 2013 Season Features Include:
• 2013 Detroit Tree Lighting Ceremony presented by DTE Energy Foundation: The official Kick Off of Detroit's Holiday Season on Friday, November 22.
• Sitting atop the Park's beautiful fountain, Detroit's 60-foot Christmas Tree and the spectacular Lighting Ceremony are now a much anticipated Detroit family tradition.
• Live musical entertainment and skating performances from 6:20 – 8pm including the lighting of the Tree at approximately 7:50PM. The Tree will remain on display through January 20.
• Estimated attendance of 20,000 on site to witness the Tree Lighting.
• The 60 ft Norway Spruce Tree will be draped in over 19,000 multi colored LED lights.
• This year's Tree is from Sherman, Michigan, just south of Interlochen
IKEA D - Light Music!
Holiday Sound + Sparkle Spectacular
• To celebrate the 10th anniversary of Campus Martius Park and inspire a great holiday season for metro Detroit, the city's beautiful Detroit Christmas Tree will be transformed into a sparkling, musical showstopper! IKEA D-Light! features a 5-minute musical track of legendary Detroit artists performing classic holiday songs synchronized to an exciting pattern of 19,000 blinking, dancing and sparking tree lights. This incredible presentation will kick-off at the moment of the official Tree lighting and then run daily on the hour from 5pm to 11pm through December 31st.
2013 Season – Grand Opening of The Rink at Campus Martius Park
• Located adjacent to Detroit's spectacular Christmas Tree, the Rink offers a high energy skating experience in the heart of downtown, surrounded by Detroit's historic skyline, surround sound, and beautiful color changing lighting.
• Rink side dining and drinks at the award winning Fountain Bistro, Arctic Zone concessions and a brand new Rink Side Lounge are part of this special experience.
• The Rink opens to the public for the Season with a Grand Opening Party on November 22; from 9pm – Midnight where 93.9 FM-The River will host the party with a live band and music.
• The Rink will be Open Every Day thru March 2
• Rink Hours November 22 Thru March 2, 2014:
o Monday – Thursday - 11am - 10pm
o Friday - 11am – 12am
o Saturday - 10am – 12am
o Sunday - 12pm – 8pm
• In the spirit of northern Michigan après ski, the new Rink Side Lounge will be open weekends and holidays for post skating adult refreshments. With cozy seating, outdoor heaters and a full bar, this new venue offers spectacular views of the Rink, the Christmas Tree and Downtown Detroit skyline.
• Rink Side Lounge hours:
o Friday – 4pm – 12am
o Saturday – 12pm – 12am
o Sunday – 12pm – 8pm
• The Arctic Zone features fun for the whole family! Family friendly comfort food will refuel skaters for another lap around the ice or allow sore feet to relax with a post-skate hot chocolate.
• Arctic Zone hours:
o Monday – Thursday – 4pm – 10pm
o Friday – 4pm – 12am
o Saturday – 11am – 12am
o Sunday – 12pm – 8pm
Photos with Santa
• Located in the Compuware Atrium, we welcome you to visit Santa and share your holiday wishes!
o Friday, Nov. 22 – 5pm – 9pm
o Thursday, Nov. 28 – 12pm – 3pm
o Friday, Nov. 29 – 12pm – 8pm
o Saturday, Nov. 30 – 12pm – 8pm
o Friday, Dec. 6 – 4pm – 7pm
o Saturday, Dec. 7 – 12pm – 4pm
o Friday, Dec. 13 – 4pm – 7pm
o Saturday, Dec. 14 – 12pm – 6pm
o Friday, Dec. 20 – 4pm – 7pm
o Saturday, Dec. 21 – 12pm – 6pm
The Holiday Marketplace returns in all open-air model on Cadillac Square and for the first time, remains open for five consecutive weekends, (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) from November 22 through December 22
• This festive market place, in the tradition of European Christmas markets, is located adjacent to Detroit's Christmas Tree and the Rink at Campus Martius Park. The Marketplace includes artisan vendors, The Beer Garden, Campus Martius Park featuring many Michigan beers, made on site German style pretzels and number of local food vendors.
• 30+ vendors will be offering unique, affordable gifts including fashion, Detroit centric, arts and crafts, Detroit boutiques, and unique market place food offerings.
• Six food and beverage vendors will be in the market offering hot fresh made pretzels, specialty coffees and hot chocolate, and a sampling of the best local food offerings from the successful Summer market in Cadillac Square
• Holiday Marketplace Hours:
o Friday and Saturday – 12pm – 9pm
o Sunday – 12pm – 6pm
Frankenmuth Brewery Beer Garden- Camps Martius Park.
• Whether you are ice skating at the park, enjoying Detroit's Christmas Tree, or doing your holiday shopping at the unique specialty shops and boutiques, make sure to stay festive and stop by to warm up in the heated Frankenmuth Brewery Beer Garden in Cadillac Square. Enjoy your favorite craft beers, warm winter cocktails, live music, games, or catch the Lions, Wings or your favorite sporting events on numerous TVs – plus much, much more!
• Frankenmuth Brewery Beer Garden Hours:
o Friday and Saturday – 12pm – 12am
o Sunday – 12pm – 6pm
• Happy Hour Fridays from 4pm – 6pm
• Live Detroit Music Party's on Friday and Saturday 9pm – 12am
Horse and carriage rides, street performers, choirs, and additional holiday lighting- Enhanced Holiday Experiences featured in the Campus Martius district include:
• Take a magical ride around the Park while viewing the Christmas Tree and downtown lights in horse drawn carriages. Carriages will depart from Cadillac Square, adjacent to the Marketplace. Tickets are $5 per ride and can be purchased in the Park. Carriage rides will be available for six weekends beginning with the November 22 Tree Lighting.
• Carriage rides November 22 – December 29:
o Friday and Saturday – 6pm – 12am
o Sunday – 12pm – 6pm
• The streets and plazas around Campus Martius and on Woodward Avenue will be animated with music, choirs, street performers and holiday fun every weekend beginning with the November 22 Tree Lighting. These performers will create a festive holiday experience similar to what is enjoyed in New York City, London, and other European cities.
• Downtown and the Campus Martius District, in particular, will be significantly brighter for this Holiday season with nearly 350,000 lights.
• In addition to Detroit's Christmas Tree, Campus Martius Park will be shining with 142,000 LED twinkle lights that are installed on 80 trees.
• On the 1200 Block of Woodard Avenue, 32 eight foot high Christmas trees will be placed in the street planters and will glow with 27,000 brightly colored LED lights.
• The Downtown Detroit Partnership and the Downtown Development Authority are installing over 135,000 lights and snowflakes in the downtown area, nearly 50% of which are now LED. In addition to this, over 18,000 new LED white twinkle lights will be added to trees on Woodward Avenue between Campus Martius and Grand Circus Park.
Woodward Avenue Shopping
Retailers popping up downtown this holiday season now through Thursday, December 21 include:
• The Detroit Shoppe – Showcasing people, places and products that have shaped Detroit
1201 Woodward Avenue; Hours: Tuesday-Saturday 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
• Rock Paper Scissors – Offers personalized stationery, paper, home goods and gifts
1213 Woodward Avenue; Hours: Tuesday-Saturday 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
• The Hand-Made Company – Michigan-made products from a variety of Detroit retailers
1219 Woodward Avenue; Hours: Tuesday-Saturday 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
• Spielhaus Toys – A hand-made specialty toy shop
1249 Woodward Avenue; Hours: Tuesday-Saturday 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
• Somerset Collection City Loft – Your favorite Somerset Collection retailers in Detroit
1261 Woodward Avenue; Hours: Thursday-Saturday 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. beginning Thursday, November 21.
• Moosejaw – Popular national outdoor retailer
1275 Woodward Avenue; Hours: Wednesday-Saturday 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
(Open Tuesdays beginning December 3)
Campus Martius Park is grateful to Quicken Loans for its presentation of the season of Winter Magic 2013, DTE Energy Foundation for its presentation of Our Official City of Detroit Christmas Tree, and the wonderful support from all of our Official Sponsors including Compuware Corporation, McDonald's, WXYZ Channel 7, Meridian Health Plan, Ernst & Young, GalaxE Solutions, Honigman, Marketing Associates, Absopure Water, Faygo, Frankenmuth Brewery, The Detroit People Mover, Detroit Metropolitan Convention & Visitors Bureau, Autoliv, Clark Hill, Hines, Westin Book Cadillac Hotel, People's Transit, good people popcorn, 93.9 The River, Real Detroit Weekly, D-Hive, Greko Printing, Blumz, Great Lakes Trophies, Hard Rock Café, Sterling Group, Michigan Christmas Tree Growers Association, IKEA and many others.
Like Us. We Like You.
Get local stories delivered directly to your newsfeed.