Prosecutors in Flint water probe: We're still on the case
<p>In a March 21, 2016 photo, the Flint Water Plant water tower is seen in Flint, Mich. Flint residents who've grown accustomed to using bottled water and avoiding the faucet are now getting new instructions: Use more tap water. The conundrum is that city residents aren't running enough water to rid the system of toxic lead. (AP Photo/Carlos Osorio)</p>
By ED WHITE
Posted at 12:00 PM, Apr 19, 2020
and last updated2020-04-19 12:01:00-04
FLINT (WXYZ) — Prosecutors said Flint’s water scandal remains under criminal investigation. They said there's been a “misconception” that time soon will expire for any charges to be filed.
The attorney general’s office last year dropped charges against eight people and said it was starting from scratch. Next week is the six-year anniversary of the decision to distribute water from the Flint River without treating it to reduce corrosion.
Lead leached from old pipes. There's a six-year limit under Michigan law to pursue certain crimes.
But Wayne County prosecutor Kym Worthy and state attorney Fadwa Hammoud suggest they're looking at key decisions and events that occurred after the water switch.
Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.