DETROIT (WXYZ) - Legal paperwork requesting work on the multi-million dollar Wayne County jail project has been finalized, allowing the project to be suspended.
Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano requested the Wayne County Building Authority stop work on the project for 60 days due to cost overruns.
Thursday, Ficano's Chief of Staff, June Lee, told Wayne County Commissioners during the work stoppage, members of the administration plan to work with the contractor to get the project back on budget.
Latest estimates have the project costing an estimated $391 million. $300 million in bonds was approved for the project and the county has already spent $110 million on the project.
The skyrocketing price tag could change the scope of the project completely.
7 Action News reported earlier that Quicken Loans founder Dan Gilbert is in talks about the possibility of developing the current site of the new jail – or to help facilitate someone else buying the property.
A spokeswoman for Ficano told us they are in discussions with the state to lease the Mound facility for $1 a year – but they would still have to spend money on renovations there as well.
Like Us. We Like You.
Get local stories delivered directly to your newsfeed.