Day 2: Detroit Police officer on trial for shooting death of 7-year-old Aiyana Jones

DETROIT (WXYZ) - The trial of a Detroit Police officer charged with involuntary manslaughter of 7-year-old Aiyana Jones continues today.


MOBILE USERS use this link:

Video -- never publicly released --  of a police raid on Aiyana Jones' family home is being shown in court.  It was during the 2010 raid that the 7-year-old was shot and killed as she slept on the couch.

The main witness on the stand Tuesday morning was DPD Homicide Investigator Latonya Brooks.  She talked about the planning before the search warrant execution and what she saw during the raid.

The prosecution showed the jury clips of the footage shot by the reality TV series "The First 48." 

The most anticipated footage showed the time stamps of 12:43 and 12:44 a.m. on May 16, 2010.  That's when chaos erupted.  The flash of stun grenades can be seen.  The sound includes loud pops and barking dogs along with the officers' voices.

Investigator Brooks described how the man she was holding down on the sidewalk -- a relative of Aiyana's -- said he thought the girl had been shot.

Defense attorney Steven Fishman questioned Brooks about having a TV crew with them at the time.  She testified that it was a decision from the top that nobody wanted and agreed with the attorney that having a video crew tagging along added pressure to an already high-pressure situation.

Opening statements began Monday in what proved to be an emotional day in court. The prosecution called Aiyana's mother to the stand where she tearfully recounted the moments that led up to her daughter's death.

Aiyana's mother spoke about the day her daughter was killed. She says officers made her sit on the couch where Aiyana was killed.

The prosecution also touched on evidence pointing to the fact that no one touched Officer Weekley's gun. They also commented on the training Weekley went through to become a member of the highly skilled Detroit Police Special Response Team.

Officer Weekley is charged with Involuntary Manslaughter and Careless Discharge of a Weapon Causing Death.

The defense is calling it an accident, claiming Weekley only fired the shot that killed 7-year-old Aiyana after her grandmother hit officer Weekley's gun."


Print this article Back to Top