Deserted Spirit Air passengers frustrated over delays

DETROIT (WXYZ) - Dozens of Spirit Airlines passengers found themselves waiting in the wings at Detroit's Metro Airport Thursday morning.

A spokesperson for Spirit airlines tells 7 Action News that they have assisted all of their customers who had delays earlier today.

Passengers like Vladimir Carreras waited, hoping to get word on when his flight would take off.  He's been at the airport since 5 a.m.  His first flight was schedule to take off at 6:20 a.m. this morning then it was delayed until 9 and then, nothing.

"I want to get there to see my kids and bring them here and they're telling me its not available. There's no more flights, you know what I mean, that's not how you do it," he said.

He should be on the plane on his way to Santo Domingo.  He's got a connecting flight that he's already missed.  His 2 kids are waiting for him to come pick them up.

"All these people have been waiting here since 6 o'clock in the morning just to get information and none of them has gotten the information that is right," Vladimir says referencing the dozens of passengers awaiting their next flight assignment.

We found one ticket agent assisting the more than 60 passengers.  A source close to Action News says the delays and cancelations are the result of flight attendants calling in sick.

Stacey Underwood flew Spirit Air over a year ago, "and we swore we'd never do it again," she says. She was at the airport with her friend Renee. Both were on their way to see Renee's Uncle in Fort Lauderdale. "Never again will we fly this airline. I've had it," Renee says. "We always have a bad experience and they won't tell us if we can get out today, tomorrow, they're not telling us anything."

Spirit Air issued this statement to Action News, "Everyone at Spirit, as always, is working diligently to get our customers where they need to go as quickly and safely as possible. Unfortunately, we are experiencing a few delays in Detroit this morning, including weather and maintenance. While we understand this is an inconvenience for our customers, their safety is our number one priority."

One man who didn't want to go on camera says if the delays and cancelations continue he'll be late for his own wedding.

Flights scheduled to go out Thursday afternoon and evening were on time, about one or two had a 25 minute delay.

Print this article Back to Top