Father speaks only to Action News about son caught in store explosion while at a stop light
Store explosion tossed his Ford Escape in the air
2:33 AM, Dec 30, 2010
8:49 PM, Dec 30, 2010
WAYNE, Mich. (WXYZ) - There are lacerations all over his face. He's taking strong
painkillers and may have an ruptured eardrum.
Now, after surgery to remove glass and debris from his veins and
arteries, 32-year-old Matthew Newport is on the mend. The
Wayne man was sitting at a stop light on Wayne Road directly across
from the William C. Franks Furniture Store on Wayne Road at about
9:15 a.m. Wednesday when it exploded.
Matt, a newlywed of one year, was on a coffee and donut run for
he and his wife Megan when in a split second, the building exploded
sending his Ford Escape up to 8 feet in the air. He landed in the
left hand turn lane of Wayne Road.
Matt was rushed to Annapolis Hospital "they did surgery on his
neck this afternoon and took out glass and debris that had embedded
itself close the the veins and arteries" says his father Tom who
spoke only to Action News.
While Matt heals, Tom Newport made it a point to show support
for all other families affected "We're still concerned about the
people who have been hurt in this. We just hope and pray they
Like Us. We Like You.
Get local stories delivered directly to your newsfeed.