Reward offered in deadly barbershop shooting that killed three, left nine wounded

(WXYZ) - Detroit Police Chief James Craig held a briefing to provide updates on the investigation into the deadly barbershop shooting that claimed the lives of three people and wounded 6 others.

The shooting happened Wednesday night on Detroit's east side on the 5000 block of east 7 Mile between Ryan and Mound.

A "person of interest" is in custody, but police are not saying that he is the shooter in the case. Detroit Police along with the help of the FBI and Rochester Police arrested a man on an unrelated felonious assault charge.

We're told he was wearing body armor at the time of the arrest.

He will be interviewed by homicide.

In Thursday's press conference, Detroit Police Chief told reporters that the shooting may have been the result of an ongoing feud. Crime Stoppers has increased the reward for information to $5,000.

There is no word yet on the conditions of the 6 remaining shooting victims.

Detroit Police got a 911 call Wednesday evening after shots were fired at the barbershop. According to police, about 20 to 30 people were inside as a dice game was going on.

A car pulled up and opened fire at a pickup truck.

The shooter reportedly got out of the car and fired a high-powered rifle into the back of the barbershop through an open door.

Police say two vehicles, a white Impala and a black Impala, pulled up to Al's Barber Shop on the block. We're told the passengers inside one of the vehicles then started firing into the barber shop.

"What happened was somebody at the barbershop heard all this commotion, opened the door. And then shots were fired into the barber shop," said Detroit Police Spokesperson Kelly Miner. "And we know two people died at that time in the barber shop."

Police are interviewing store owners to gather surveillance video and more information. As the investigation continued at the scene, family members could be seen waiting for updates on their loved ones.

"Someone told me they shot up the place," said James, whose son was a barber at Al's. "[When I saw him], it was the same feeling I had when he was first born."

"You just have to be strong," said Jaiwanna, whose future brother in law was in the barbershop, and has not been heard from, "And just hoping, even though hope is really not there. We still have to keep hoping."

Detroit Receiving Hospital confirms some of the victims were taken there. The emergency room was filled with family members from the shooting. 

Additional victims were taken to Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit and St. John's Hospital on Moross.




Print this article Back to Top