Skelton waives preliminary hearing, case to proceed to trial

ADRIAN, Mich. (WXYZ) - The father of three missing Morenci boys has waived a preliminary examination and will be arraigned on parental kidnapping charges January 5.

John Skelton waived his hearing Monday morning. It had been set for Tuesday. Preliminary examinations are used to determine if there is enough evidence for a case to proceed to trial. By waiving the hearing Skelton ensures that the case will go right to trial.

Skelton is charged in the disappearance of his three young sons. Alexander, Andrew and Tanner Skelton have been missing since Thanksgiving. The last confirmed sighting of the boys was in John Skelton's backyard.

At the time of their disappearance, Skelton told investigators that he gave the boys to a woman named JoAnn Taylor and that they were in her custody. He has since said the boys were in the custody of an "organization." However, police have said that they don't believe Taylor exists and Skelton has declined to identify any specific organization.

Skelton has been in police custody since late November when officials were notified about the missing boys. At the time he said he tried to commit suicide after turning the boys over to Taylor. After being released from an Ohio hospital he was held in the Lucas County jail until he waived extradition to Michigan. He is currently being held in the Lenawee County jail on $30 million bond.

The disappearance of the boys triggered a massive search effort along the Michigan-Ohio border. However, no trace of them has been found and official search activities have been suspended. If you have any information about the boys' location you’re asked to call 517-458-7104. A $10,000 reward has been offered in the case.

Print this article Back to Top