DETROIT (WXYZ) - A Detroit man and his girlfriend are in police custody after the man's 16-month-old nephew died from hyperthermia and burns in their Keating Street home.
The toddler's 22-year-old uncle and the woman were babysitting the boy while his mother attended a program to assist her in getting a job. But the house had no running water or heat. They were using space heaters to stay warm.
Investigators say the story they are getting is that the baby was in his stroller with a blanket over him, but a space heater may have also been under the blanket.
Relatives of toddler's 20-year-old mother say she was just a week away from moving to a home with heat.
Like Us. We Like You.
Get local stories delivered directly to your newsfeed.