ANN ARBOR, MICH (WXYZ) — Zingerman’s will host the tenth anniversary of its annual Camp Bacon, May 29 - June 2, 2019.
For the past ten years, bacon lovers from around the globe have convened in Ann Arbor for the annual five-day bacon-lover’s summit. Camp Bacon focuses on educating attendees on the history of bacon, and best practices on farming and preparing bacon, all while supporting the Southern Foodways Alliance, an institute of the Center for the Study of Southern Culture at the University of Mississippi, and Washtenaw County 4-H.
Camp Bacon will take place at several Zingerman’s venues across Ann Arbor, including a film fest, a bacon ball, and bacon baking classes, just to name a few. This year’s Main Event, a symposium focused on all things pork, will take place Friday, May 31 at Cornman Farms. The speaking lineup is stacked with pork prophets featuring sausage kings, pasture-raised pig farmers, cured meat scholars, niche pork educators, and bacon-charmed butchers and chefs.
To learn more, visithttps://www.zingermanscampbacon.com/
Bacon Biscuits with Sorghum & Butter
5 oz butter, unsalted
9 oz all-purpose flour
2 tbsp baking powder
2 tbsp salt
6 oz buttermilk
8 slices bacon, rendered and diced
2 oz sorghum
1 oz salted butter
1. Preheat oven to 410F
2. Cube butter and place in a stainless steel bowl, let it slightly warm to room temperature
3. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and add to butter
4. Incorporate with your hands until the butter is pea size
5. Make a well with the flour and add buttermilk and bacon. Mix until incorporated and a dough is formed
6. Transfer dough onto a lightly floured cutting board or clean surface
7. Use a biscuit cutter of your choice to punch out biscuits. Place on a lightly floured cookie sheet
8. Bake at 410F 12-15 minutes, rotating halfway through. When the middle biscuits are cooked through, the baking is done
9. Pour sorghum on to a side plate. Warm in the microwave for 10 seconds. Place a scoop of room temperature butter in the middle of the sorghum. Enjoy with the biscuits.