Apples and honey are significant during Rosh Hashanah for a sweet new year
5:56 AM, Sep 9, 2018
9:02 AM, Sep 9, 2018
SOUTHFIELD, MICH (WXYZ) - Challah Recipe
(This recipe yields 1 challah)
1 packet yeast (2 ¼ t)
¼ c of sugar
1 c warm water
¼ c vegetable oil
½ T salt
3-4 c bread flour
2 large Granny Smith apple chopped very small
3 T cinnamon and sugar
1. Mix the yeast, sugar and water together and let sit for a couple of minutes till you
start to see bubbles forming.
2. Add the eggs, oil, salt and mix.
3. Add half the flour and mix,
4. Add the rest of the flour ¼ cup at a time until a dough starts to form. At this point
you may want to switch to your hands and knead the dough until you have a nice
5. Form the dough into a ball and using about 1t of oil, grease the ball of dough.
6. Loosely cover the dough and let sit for about an hour or till the dough doubles in
7. At this point you can shape and braid the dough however you would like.
8. To make a round challah filled with apples - divide dough into
9. Using a rolling pin flatten each one into a long strip. Fill with chopped apples and
cinnamon and sugar and roll dough over it so the filling is covered.
10.Place 2 strips parallel to each other and then the other two strips perpendicularly,
weaving them through each other in the middle. You now have 8 strands around
the middle. Start with one of the strands that’s coming from underneath and
place it over its partner strand- continue clockwise. Repeat counterclockwise and
tuck the ends under.
11.Spray a pan or use parchment paper, place the shaped dough in a 8 or 9” round
pan and let rise for another ½ hour, until doubled in size.
12.Brush a beaten egg on the top and bake at 350. Bake for 30-40 minutes. You are
looking for a golden brown color. If the challah is getting too dark and is not fully
cooked yet you can tent a piece of foil over it. When it’s fully baked it should
sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
13.Cool on a rack
14.If it’s not going to be eaten within a day , wrap well and freeze