BERKLEY, Michigan (WXYZ) — Elwin & Company is a located in Berkley, Michigan.
The bakery opened in the fall of 1990 as a small European-style cafe serving breakfast and lunch. It's since grown by leaps and bounds to include time-tested favorites, such as roast veggie and bean chili, salmon pattie, wild mushroom blintzes and tuna noodle casserole.
Among the tasty newer items include gourmet bread, “stuffed” mac & cheese, apple crisp, peach cobbler and “challah” bread pudding, plus many new dishes with a sophisticated twist. Also available are homemade soups such as “Bubbie’s” famous chicken soup with farfel, Hungarian vegetable barley or roasted apple and squash with candied pecans. There's a recipe for Ricotta Pancakes with Caramel Sauce posted below.
To learn more about Elwin & Company, visit http://www.elwinandco.com/
Ricotta Pancakes with Caramel Sauce (serves 8-10)
8 Gala style apples cored & grated Metal box grater
1/4C each white & dark raisins, candied orange, Assorted portion scoops /ladles
lemon, Citron, pineapple, red & green cherries Heavy frying pan, heavy sauce pan
1/4C (toasted) chopped pecans or sliced almonds Metal spatula – wooden spoon
1/4C each white & milk chocolate chips Assorted whisks or forks
2-3 large eggs Assorted mixing bowls
1/4C whole milk Assorted measuring spoons
8oz drained ricotta cheese Brown paper or wire rack
1/4C all purpose flour Decorative serving platter
1/4TSP baking powder
Pinch of Kosher salt Caramel Sauce:
1/2TSP pure vanilla ½ LB unsalted butter softened + 1/2LB brown sugar
¾-1C pure vegetable oil 1C heavy whipping cream plus a pinch of salt
1/2LB unsalted butter + 1/2C brown sugar Confectioners sugar & fresh mint for garnish
1. In a mixing bowl combine the grated apples, raisins and the almonds. (If you prefer use the candied fruit, chocolate and pecans)
2. Mix the dry ingredients together and set aside.
3. Using the wire whisk or fork beat the eggs, milk and the drained ricotta cheese until well combined. Gently stir in the apples, raisins and almonds or the candied fruit/chocolate combination or any mixture you like.
4. Carefully fold in the dry mixture being careful not to overmix.
5. Pour about 1/4 – 1/2 of oil into the heavy frying pan and heat over medium heat until the oil is hot.
6. Using a portion scoop, ladle or measuring cup carefully pour batter into the hot oil about 1/4 Cup at a time.
7. When the edges of each pancake are golden and the center seems semi firm (about 2-3 minutes) gently flip each pancake over using the metal spatula.
8. Transfer each pancake to the brown paper or wire rack while preparing the caramel sauce.
9. In the heavy sauce pan combine the brown sugar, butter and cook over medium heat stirring constantly with the wooden spoon until the mixture is no longer grainy. (about 2-3 minutes)
10. Remove from the heat and whisk in the heavy cream creating a smooth shiny silky sauce.
11. Place the pancakes in individual plates or on a serving platter, decorate with toasted almonds, marzipan leaves, candied fruit or powdered sugar. Drizzle the warm sauce on top and keep some in the side as well. Emjoy!