(WXYZ) — Halloween will be here before we know it and conversations are already starting in our local neighborhoods.
This year Halloween is on a Saturday, so there is a lot of time that day to be festive and enjoy the day as a family. Lifestyle and parenting expert, Sherri French shares creative ideas to make your Halloween memorable for your family, even if you are at home.
Adults wear a costume
· Whether you like it or not, parents need to participate fully in Halloween this year by dressing up.
· Our kids want to see that it’s a family affair with mom and dad decked out in their Halloween best.
· Take your decorating to another level by creating a circle of ghosts around a tree in your front yard
· Using string, plastic table clothes, Styrofoam heads and wooden dowel create a ring of ghosts holding hands
Glow in the dark candy hunt
· Since many will miss the experience or door to door trick-or-treating, hide candy in plastic easter eggs or plastic sandwich bags
· For when it gets dark, add in a glow stick to the egg or sandwich bag and hide them around your yard or inside of the house and search with the lights off
· If you kids are only staying at home, try to find a Halloween themed pinata to fill with candy and break for fun!
Driveway Halloween Table (if kids are going out)
· Traditionally, many homes leave a bowl of candy on their front step if they will not be home for Halloween night
· Up your game by setting up a table at the end of your driveway, decorate it and using small cardboard throwaway cups (bathroom cups are perfect), place candy in each one so as each child drives, walks or rides by then can grab a cup and be on their way
· Create some science experiments Halloween day as it’s a Saturday this year and you will have tons of time to be festive
· Make Glow in the Dark Slime and an Oozing pumpkin
To find all of these ‘how to’s’, visit Sherri French’s Instragram @momhint