SOUTHFIELD, MICH (WXYZ) — Back to school time means back to school lunches, which has many parents wondering how to make lunches healthy and something kids actually want to eat.
The Better Health Store is coming to the rescue with lunch suggests that your children will want over and over! To learn more, visit https://www.thebetterhealthstore.com
Overnight Oats “BASE” (Vegan, GF, DF)
Yield: 5 units
· 4 cups gluten-free rolled oats
· 2 cups Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla Milk
· 1 ½ cups So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Yogurt
· ¼ cup maple syrup
· 1 tablespoons vanilla
· 1 tablespoon chia seeds
1. Whisk together all ingredients except chia seeds in a large mixing bowl.
2. Slowly add chia seeds into the mixing bowl, whisking quickly. Chia seeds need to be mixed in last in order to avoid them clumping up.
3. Refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours.
Better Health Superfoods Salad
3 cups sliced green cabbage
3 cups sliced red cabbage
½ cup blueberries
¼ cup chopped parsley
¼ cup pepitas
Lemon Garlic Vinaigrette:
2/3 cup olive oil
½ cup apple cider vinegar
¼ cup lemon juice
1 tbsp honey
1 garlic clove chopped
½ tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
· 1. In a large mixing bowl, mix cabbage, blueberries, parsley together.
· 2. Mix dressing and lightly toss into the salad
· 3. Add pepitas seeds to garnish.
· 2 Whole Grain White Flatout Flatbreads
· 1 cup loosely packed grated Monterey Jack cheese
· ½ cup favorite veggie /bell peppers work great, organic
· ½ heaping cup shredded cooked chicken (or cooked black beans for a vegetarian version)
· ¼ cup corn kernels (fresh or defrosted frozen)
· 3 tablespoons mild salsa , divided
· 1 teaspoon olive oil or avocado oil
Layer ingredients on one half of each bread, dividing evenly: 1/2 the cheese, peppers, chicken, corn, dab of salsa, and more cheese. Fold diagonal.
Brush the oil in a big skillet set over medium-high heat. Place in the pan and cook until browned on one side. Flip with spatula until the second side is browned and the cheese melted. Put salsa in little carrying container in school lunch for dipping.