Business as usual at Taylor City council meeting after raids at Mayor Sollars home, city hall

Posted at 10:49 PM, Feb 19, 2019
and last updated 2019-02-19 23:10:45-05

TAYLOR, Mich. (WXYZ) — It was business as usual at Taylor city hall for a council meeting Tuesday after FBI agents and members of the Detroit Public Corruption Task Force made raids at Mayor Rick Sollars home, city hall and several other locations.

The mayor walked into city hall with his head held high after the feds and a public corruption task force team raided his home and city hall. The mayor says he’s got nothing to hide and that he’s got nothing to fear.

"As much as I’d like to talk about the investigation, I really can’t comment on it," Sollars said during the city council meeting. "What I can say is I will continue to cooperate and assist in anyway that I can."

Those who know the mayor and were in attendance at the city council meeting can’t believe the allegations.

"Extreme shock, just devastated because Rick is a wonderful man," said a longtime friend of the mayor, Nancy Stawiarski.

Sollars spoke to reporters Thursday afternoon after the raids.

"I’m going to do what’s best for the city of Taylor," he said.

FBI and members of the Detroit Public Corruption Task Force were seen removing boxes from Sollars' home and city hall.

"We will let them do their due diligence and we will wait and see what happens," said Taylor Councilman Butch Ramik. "That’s all we can do right now. The system has to operate as the system works."

Two attorneys met with the mayor at his home, one is a prominent criminal defense attorney.

Sollars says he didn’t see Tuesday's events coming, and had no idea why the feds made the raids but says he has nothing to hide.

"What I can say is my track record speaks for itself and we worked really hard to get to this point, and we will continue to work hard as we move forward," Sollars said.

The FBI is being tight lipped about their investigation, because this is an ongoing investigation they won’t be releasing details about this case.

However, the feds are asking the public, if they have any information, to come forward.