Act of kindness gives salon owner new hope after fire destroys shop

Fire destroys salon but stranger gives hope
Posted at 7:06 PM, May 10, 2018
and last updated 2018-05-10 19:06:05-04

When Gina Dandy saw what was left of her salon Shagg in Flat Rock after a fire ripped through, she thought it was all over. 

“It was shocking," Dandy said. "You’re in disbelief. You can’t even believe it’s happening to you. Just sitting out in the parking lot thinking, 'We have no place to go.' You know that’s our home.”

In the early morning hours of April 15 a fire ripped through the salon Dandy had owned for 9 years, making her and her employees jobless for the near future. Fire officials said it was a type of electrical fire that destroyed a large portion of the inside of the salon. It could take months to a year to repair. 

Dandy didn't know what she was going to do when a stranger reached out. 

“It’s like a miracle," Dandy said. "It’s a little angel coming after us.” 

Sarah Schacht, owner of Aubrey Salon in Riverview, offered to let Dandy and everyone of her employees work out of her salon until the repairs are finished. 

“It's helping a friend out, someone in your business," Schacht said. "I would hope someone would do it for me.”

Even though they are technically competitors, that didn't matter to Schacht.
“My salon is a very close salon and to see that happen to another salon, for me it wasn't’t a question," Schacht said. 
Dandy doesn't know when exactly her place will be repaired but she says she is forever thankful for what Schacht has done.