Toxic vapors were identified again at the Franklin Village Plaza late Wednesday afternoon, according to the Michigan County Health Department.
Last Friday, air quality results revealed the recurring vapor consisting of Trichloroethylene (TCE) and Tetrachloroethylene (PCE) chemicals, despite the installation of an air filtering system.
How do the toxic chemicals form? The Oakland County Health Division says:
Vapor intrusion occurs when vapors (gases) from volatile chemicals in contaminated soil and/or groundwater move through the soil and into buildings through cracks in floors, walls, and gaps around service pipes. In outdoor air, these vapors are often diluted to harmless levels. When trapped in an enclosed space like a home or building, these vapors can collect and impact the indoor air quality and pose a risk to health.
“We will continue to work with Franklin Village Plaza,” said Kim Ethridge, Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) spokesperson. “Mitigation efforts are continuing. Future collection of soil, groundwater, and vapor samples at the site will be taken under the direction of the MDEQ.”