NewsAmerica in Crisis


7th night of protest in Detroit ends with moment of silence for George Floyd

Posted at 5:51 PM, Jun 04, 2020
and last updated 2020-06-04 23:23:02-04

DETROIT (WXYZ) — On the seventh day of local protests in Detroit, marchers were joined by some key figures in the city.

RELATED: MacArthur Bridge to Belle Isle closing Friday afternoon for 'Peace March'

Detroit Pistons Head Coach Dwane Casey and players joined protesters on Thursday, committing to walking along with demonstrators to bring awareness stop to police brutality.

The protest ended earlier than previous nights, although still past the city's 8 p.m. curfew. Leaders and marchers returned to the Detroit Police Department headquarters before 8:30 p.m. They held a short debriefing which included a moment of silence for George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, Aiyana Stanley-Jones, Malice Green and others.

WATCH LIVE: Protesters take to the streets of Detroit for the 7th straight day

As demonstrators gathered outside the Detroit Police Headquarters around 4 p.m. on Thursday, organizer Tristan Taylor discussed some demands which include: ending of project green light in the city, demilitarization of the DPD, that all charges be dropped against protesters that have been arrested, cops removed from inside the schools, stopped eviction orders, as well as other demands.

Wednesday's protest in Detroit ended with a victory march as Detroit Police Chief James Craig said he would support the movement by allowing participants to continue marching past the city's 8 p.m. curfew.

"I support the voice. I support peaceful protest," Craig said Wednesday, a half hour past the 8 p.m. curfew as marchers continued down East Jefferson Avenue near downtown.

It's unclear if the same will apply regarding the curfew on Thursday.

On the seventh day of local protests, and the 10th day of protests nationally, the family of George Floyd held his funeral in Minneapolis.

On Memorial Day weekend, Floyd was killed when ex-officer Derek Chauvin was captured on camera holding his knee on Flyod's neck until he became unconscious. Floyd later died. Three other officers involved have been arrested and charged.