Hazardous materials ignited in fire at 8 Mile and Telegraph in Southfield

Posted at 6:15 PM, Apr 11, 2018
and last updated 2018-04-11 18:23:50-04

Firefighters have been working to control a massive fire at Eight Mile and Telegraph.

According to the incident commander on scene, the home where the fire started belongs to a blow mold artist. 

Officials say equipment in the garage caught fire, igniting the blaze. Acetone, propane and other flammable materials where inside of the property at the time of the fire, creating a hazardous environment. 

The owner of the home attempted to put the fire out at first, but was unsuccessful. That's when he contacted 9-1-1. Southfield firefighters went into defensive mode when arriving on the scene, wearing appropriate masks to fight the fire after multiple explosions occurred inside.

There were no injuries reported. 

We'll have more information on this fire as the story continues to develop.