Ford Motor Company plans to transform the newly-acquired Michigan Central Station into the "centerpiece" of a new campus in Detroit's Corktown neighborhood. They had a massive celebration on Tuesday afternoon featuring rapper Big Sean and more.
WATCH THE CEREMONY BELOW.
- PHOTO GALLERY: A look at Michigan Central Station
- Decades-old clock returned to MI Central Station
- Big Sean to perform at Ford's train station celebration party
The company says the campus will serve as an "innovation hub" for Ford's vision for the future of transportation.
The acquisition of Michigan Central Station comes alongside Ford's purchase of the former Detroit Public Schools Book Depository, two acres of vacant land, the site of an old brass factory and the recent purchase of a refurbished former factory in Corktown, now home to Ford's electric vehicle and autonomous vehicle business teams.
Highlights of Ford's new Corktown campus include:
- The campus will be comprised of about 1.2 million square feet of property in Corktown
- There will be a mixed-use space, including office space, retail space and residential housing
- Approximately 2,500 Ford employees, most from the mobility team, will call Corktown their work home by 2022.
- There will also be a space to accommodate 2,500 additional employees of partners and other business amongst Michigan Central Station and the other developments.
Ford will release its official vision for Michigan Central Station on Tuesday at 11 a.m. Additionally, there will be community open houses showcasing the inside of Michigan Central Station from June 22-24. Details will be announced Tuesday.