DETROIT (WXYZ) — The DTE Beacon Park Foundation and the Downtown Detroit Partnership are pleased to announce the launch of 2019 winter programming at DTE’s Beacon Park, located at Grand River and Cass Avenue in Detroit. From a movie festival inside its heated tent to St. Patrick’s Day celebrations, Beacon Park continues to provide free, family-friendly events year-round.
The fun begins with the return of February Flicks, a series of free films hosted at Beacon Park each Saturday, Feb. 2 through Feb. 23. Beacon Park’s cozy heated tent will be transformed into a community movie theater complete with a giant big screen, comfy couches and refreshments available for purchase. Each show will offer a bonus movie-themed activity or entertainment, from kids crafts and trivia to live performances, making the Saturday movie series even more memorable. Activities take place 30 minutes prior to each movie.
New this year, Beacon Park has teamed up with the Freep Film Festival to screen “March of the Penguins 2 The Next Step” on Saturday, February 16. This showing comes in advance of the Freep Film Festival on April 10 - 14, when Beacon Park will act as one of several screening locations.
February Flicks scheduled show times and movies include:
- Saturday, Feb. 2: “Wonder” (PG) at 4 p.m.; “Crazy Rich Asians” (PG-13) at 6:30 p.m.
- Saturday, Feb. 9 (Coinciding with Valentine’s Family Fun Day): “Princess and the Frog” (G) at 4 p.m.; “Loving” (PG-13) at 6:30 p.m.
- Saturday, Feb. 16 (Freep Film Festival selection): “March of the Penguins 2 The Next Step” (PG) at 4 p.m.; “Ready Player One” (PG-13) at 6:30 p.m.
- Saturday, Feb. 23: “Black Panther” (PG-13) at 4 p.m.; “Selma” (PG-13) at 6:30 p.m.
Seating is limited so guests are encouraged to bring a folding beach chair or spread out a blanket on the turf.
St. Patrick’s Day Family Fun Party – Saturday, March 16, 1 – 5 p.m.
Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with good old-fashioned family fun like Irish step dancing, face painting, crafts and more. An extensive menu of Irish-inspired fare will be available for purchase.
St. Patrick’s Day Party – Saturday, March 16, 5 – 10 p.m.
Everyone’s Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate your heritage as Beacon Park is transformed into an Irish pub complete with DJ, lawn games and a friendly sports-themed competition. Enjoy an assortment of Irish beer and cocktails, craft and domestic beers and food.
Other upcoming events
- Detroit Tigers Opening Day Tailgate Thursday, April 4, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Annual Easter Eggstravaganza Saturday, April 20, 1 – 5 p.m.
- Parkcade Tuesday – Sunday 10 a.m. – 10 p.m. from Friday, April 19 – Mid May
- BLAST OFF! First Robotics Competition Wednesday, April 24 - Sunday, April 28
for more information and a full list of activities hosted at Beacon Park.