The city of Monroe is warning residents about utility imposters after a resident said a person posing as a Monroe Water Department utility worker tried to get into a home.
According to the city, the person referenced an information flyer that was included in water billing statements titled, "Residential Cross Connection Control" and then tried to get inside.
The homeowner refused and notified the city and filed a report with the police department.
The city is telling people to keep the following information in mind if the imposter tries to get inside your home:
- Residential Cross Connection Control Inspections will start after July 1, 2018
- Advance notice will be provided by the city of Monroe Water Department in an effort to schedule an inspection
- Inspectors will carry special ID cards and never hesitate to ask for identification
- Check the inspector's vehicle to see if it's a city vehicle
- Contact the water department at 734-384-9150