Metro Detroit man accused of cheating Medicare out of $132M lived lavishly

(WXYZ) - 7 Action News was at a Detroit building earlier this month when federal agents hauled out evidence, part of a $132 million dollar Medicare fraud operation.

Now we have reviewed the indictment, which highlights seven people, including the man the feds say orchestrated the scheme - health care executive Mashiyat Rashid.

No one was at his listed address in West Bloomfield Monday. And no one was at the Franklin construction site where he is building a multi-million dollar mansion, using what the feds say is stolen money.

Rashid, who likes to take pictures next to private jets flaunting his apparent wealth, is alleged to have spent hundreds of thousands on everything from basketball tickets to that $7 million dollar home, which could soon land in the hands of the US government.

The indictment also claims Rashid has cash hidden at secret locations, and undercover agents once spotted him leaving a bank with a duffel bag full of $500K in cash.

Prosecutors allege he recruited homeless people to pose as patients and illegally injected and medicated drug addicts, all the while billing Medicare.

“There is a presumption of innocence and certainly I stand by that,” said his attorney Mohammed Nasser.

He says his client should be afforded bond.

The 37-year-old faces life in prison if convicted of the charges against him.

He goes to trial in August.

Print this article Back to Top