(WXYZ) — Michigan Auto Law on Monday released its annual list of the most dangerous intersections in the state, and almost all are in metro Detroit.
According to Michigan Auto Law, the state saw a decrease in injuries from car crashes, but the total number of accidents and fatalities were higher.
“Our goal is driver safety,” says Steven Gursten, president of Michigan Auto Law. “We give drivers this information so they can plan alternative routes if possible, and to be aware of the extra caution needed when driving in these areas.”
The company also said the coronavirus pandemic has lightened the amount of traffic on the roads, but that doesn't mean it's safer.
The statistics to come up with the most dangerous intersections come from Michigan State Police Traffic Crash reporting data. It includes any reported crash that occurred within 250 feet of an intersection, including turnarounds and ramps to highways.
The Top 20 Most Dangerous Intersections in Michigan for 2019 are:
- 18 1/2 mile at Van Dyke in Sterling Heights - 229 crashes, 14 injuries
- Schoolcraft at Telegraph in Redford Township - 210 crashes, 41 injuries
- Orchard Lake at 14 Mile in Farmington Hills - 178 crashes, 22 injuries
- M-5/Martin Parkway at Pontiac Trial in Commerce Township - 161 crashes, 12 injuries
- State Rd. at W. Ellsworth in Pittsfield Township - 154 crashes, 8 injuries
- 11 Mile/I-696 at Van Dyke in Center Line - 129 crashes, 31 injuries
- Telegraph Rd. at 12 Mile in Southfield - 128 crashes, 17 injuries
- US-131 at Wealthy St. in Grand Rapids - 123 crashes, 18 injuries
- I-75 at Big Beaver in Troy - 113 crashes, 17 injuries
- Ford Rd. at Haggerty in Canton - 101 crashes, 35 injuries
- Hall Rd. at Schoenherr in Shelby Township - 96 crashes, 16 injuries
- 23 Mile at I-94 in Chesterfield Township - 94 crashes, 24 injuries
- 11 Mile at Graiot in Roseville - 94 crashes, 23 injuries
- Southfield at 11 Mile in Lathrup Village - 93 crashes, 31 injuries
- Ford Rd. at Mercury Dr. in Dearborn - 91 crashes, 30 injuries
- Hall Rd. at Romeo Plank in Clinton Township - 86 crashes, 27 injuries
- Ford Rd. at Lilley Rd. in Canton - 80 crashes, 20 injuries
- Dixie Highway at I-75 in Springfield Township - 79 crashes, 13 injuries
- Dix Ave. at M-39 in Lincoln Park - 78 crashes, 18 injuries
- Telegraph at Square Lake in Bloomfield Township - 78 crashes, 15 injuries