(WXYZ) — The Michigan Department of Transportation is closing two heavily-traveled ramps in metro Detroit for a 3-week time period for bridge repairs.
The project is expected to ensure the ramps can remain open during the winter months.
“That’s one of the most complicated interchanges in the whole state,” is how MDOT spokesperson Diane Cross described the area where the Southfield Freeway meets I-96.
Tens of thousands of drivers will be affected after ramps connecting the two freeways will be closed starting Friday at 8pm.
This project could take at least three weeks. It could be longer if Mother Nature doesn’t cooperate.
“If we get cold temps, below freezing or we get a lot of rain, it’s going to extend that three weeks into longer,” Cross explained.
The urgent repairs come because of issues like pavement so badly damaged, you can see rebar.
“It has been a pothole and then people driving on it and it just got worse and worse that when you are seeing rebar which holds concrete in place and your seeing that that’s a dangerous situation.”
The construction will run from Friday, Oct. 18 at 8 p.m. and end around Nov. 11 at 5 a.m., weather pending, as it could affect the time for the closures.
The closures include:
– Southbound M-39 ramp to eastbound I-96
– Westbound I-96 ramps to northbound and southbound M-39
Detours include the following:
– Westbound I-96 traffic heading for northbound M-39 will be detoured further west to northbound Telegraph Road to eastbound M-102 (8 Mile Road) to northbound M-39.
– Westbound I-96 traffic headed for southbound M-39 will be detoured further west to southbound (Telegraph Road to eastbound M-153 (Ford Road) to southbound M-39.
– Northbound and southbound M-39 traffic headed for eastbound I-96 will be detoured to eastbound M-5 (Grand River Avenue) to eastbound I-96.
To get around the closure on the southbound M-39 ramp, drivers are urged to take eastbound M-5 to access I-96.
For the westbound I-96 ramp, MDOT said to continue west on US-24, turn right and head north to 8 Mile, then take 8 Mile east to M-39.