(WXYZ) — There are already several dangerous intersections in metro Detroit, and Kim Russell is taking a look at them.
The Southeast Michigan Coalition of Governments (SEMCOG), has created a database showing when, where, and how every single reported traffic crash happens. They created the database to find out where drivers are most in danger.
The analysts took a look at police report after police report, looking for patterns.
Kevin Vettraino from SEMCOG tells 7 Action News it's also information you can use to drive defensively.
When we looked at the most recent SEMCOG numbers from 2017 - we found if you are driving in the area of Van Dyke and Eleven Mile - there is a reason to be cautious. It made the SEMCOG most dangerous intersection list not once— but twice.
That's because one side is on Center Line and the other is on Warren. In all, police responded to a staggering 145 accidents at Van Dyke and 11 Mile, on both sides of I-696.
Warren Police Sgt. Ken Marsee says people need to be aware, it is a congested area. Most incidents are rear-end crashes in rush hour. The city responded with patrols and by banning trucks from turning left, which often blocked traffic.
Coming in at No. 2 and No. 3 on the list is Ford Rd. in Canton at Lilley where there were 87 crashes, and just the way down at Haggerty where there were 81 crashes.
No. 4 is in Farmington Hills at Orchard Lake and 12 Mile. There have been 79 crashes there. Of those, 42 percent are rear-end crashes, but about 25 percent are t-bone crashes.
Coming in at No. 5 is Southfield and 11 Mile where there were 75 crashes in 2015. The trend continues with most being rear-end accidents but about 33 percent are sideswipe.
While these are statistically the biggest problem intersections last year, SEMCOG has data on all intersections so the public can spot problems.
You can search that data at their website by clicking here .
Michigan Auto Law also compiled a list of the top 20 most dangerous intersection in Michigan in 2018. You can view that list here .
Top 20 Most Dangerous Intersections in Michigan for 2018:
1. TELEGRAPH ROAD @ 12 MILE ROAD, Southfield, 145 Total Crashes, 24 Injuries
2. ORCHARD LAKE ROAD @ 14 MILE ROAD, Farmington Hills/West Bloomfield, 144 Total Crashes, 20 Injuries
3. 18 1/2 MILE ROAD @ VAN DYKE AVE, Sterling Heights, 141 Total Crashes, 12 Injuries
4. M 5/MARTIN PKWY @ PONTIAC TRL, Commerce Twp, 138 Total Crashes, 9 Injuries
5. I 75 @ BIG BEAVER ROAD, Troy, 129 Total Crashes, 13 Injuries
6. 11 MILE ROAD/I 696 @ VAN DYKE AVE, Warren/Center Line, 126 Total Crashes, 27 Injuries
7. TELEGRAPH ROAD @ SCHOOLCRAFT ROAD, Redford Twp, 125 Total Crashes, 15 Injuries
8. STATE ROAD @ ELLSWORTH ROAD, Ann Arbor/Pittsfield Twp, 123 Total Crashes, 6 Injuries
9. HALL ROAD/M59 @ SCHOENHERR ROAD, Utica/Sterling Heights, 116 Total Crashes, 20 Injuries
10. I 75 @ M 59, Auburn Hills, 115 Total Crashes, 30 Injuries
11. JOY ROAD @ M 39/SOUTHFIELD FWY, Detroit, 99 Total Crashes, 26 Injuries
12. HALL ROAD/M 59 @ ROMEO PLANK ROAD, Clinton Twp, 99 Total Crashes, 18 Injuries
13. I 75 @ 14 MILE ROAD, Madison Heights, 96 Total Crashes, 17 Injuries
14. METROPOLITAN PKWY @ VAN DYKE AVE, Sterling Heights, 95 Total Crashes, 20 Injuries
15. METROPOLITAN PKWY @ MOUND ROAD, Sterling Heights, 94 Total Crashes, 20 Injuries
16. BIG BEAVER ROAD @ ROCHESTER ROAD, Troy, 92 Total Crashes, 27 Injuries
17. FORD ROAD @ LILLEY ROAD, Canton Twp, 91 Total Crashes, 25 Injuries
18. 11 MILE ROAD @ GRATIOT AVE E, Roseville, 90 Total Crashes, 31 Injuries
19. HALL ROAD/M 59 @ VAN DYKE AVE, Utica, 89 Total Crashes, 13 Injuries
20. 8 MILE ROAD @ WOODWARD AVE, Detroit, 87 Total Crashes, 10 Injuries