Don't have $500 for your next smartphone? How about just $10?
It may sound too good to be true.
But Wal-Mart has just started selling a smartphone for just $10, with no 2-year contract required.
Wal-Mart shopper Rickie Howzie told us "That would be amazing, because that doesn't happen! They're really expensive."
Another customer said, "Something that cheap, I wonder if it would even be good, or if it would have some scam with it."
But it's not a scam: It's real.
What You Get
For $10 you get an entry level LG Android phone, subsidized by the prepaid carrier TracFone.
Sure, it's not the latest iPhone, or a Samsung Galaxy. But for $10 you're not going to find another smartphone at a price like this.
So what's the catch? There are several, but you may be able to live with them.
- The phone has a 4-inch screen, which looks like a first generation iPhone and is positively tiny these days.
- There's no front camera for taking selfies.
- It uses a two-generations old 2013 Android operating system.
- You have to use it on the TracFone pre-paid network, at least for a year.
And the Verdict is...
But Fortune Magazine says all things considered, it's a great value.
Even if you don't want it for yourself, you can:
- Give it to a 10- or 12-year-old child as a stocking stuffer.
- Or you can use it as $10 WiFi tablet
- Or you can turn it into a remote control for a Roku streamer or a Google Chromecast stick.
Rickie Howzie -- hearing the details -- decided she was suddenly interested. "I might look into it, yeah absolutely," she said.
You can find the offer on Wal-Mart's website, though it may not yet be available in Wal-Mart's local stores.
It could be a popular holiday gift this year, so you don't waste your money.