1 dead after police chase that ended in Lincoln Park

Posted at 5:38 AM, Sep 20, 2016
and last updated 2016-09-20 17:22:12-04

Wyandotte Police Chief Daniel Grant tells us a police chase that ended in a fatal crash, began because officers saw the driver blow through a red light.

Chief Grant says the pursuit began around 8:30 p.m. in Wyandotte, on Fort street, that's where two officers witnessed a 1995 Chevy suburban speed through the light at Northline Ave.

The officers watched the SUV travel northbound, refusing to pull over, even as the vehicle began smoking.

The chief says at some point, the police cruiser was able to stop the SUV, but as the officers got out of their car, the driver took off again, heading north bound into Lincoln Park.

The chief says at that point the driver tried to make a u-turn through the median at Fort and Capitol but lost control of the car.

The suburban rolled over several times, flattening the Dix Coney Island sign and ejecting the front seat passenger, 29-year-old Joshua Nance. The suburban landed sideways against the front of the restaurant.

Nance was pinned underneath the car and was pronounced dead at the scene. His family has released the following statement:

As our family struggles to cope with this loss we will never understand why the person Josh was with made the terrible choices that lead to this horrific accident. His poor judgment and reckless behavior is the reason our family lost a beloved son and brother.  Joshua was one of the most loving and caring individuals. He was a very proud and excited father to his one year old son Jack who was the light of his life. Josh would do anything for his family, friends and those he didn’t even know. Josh’s smile, love, and laughter can never be replaced and will never be forgotten.  We are deeply saddened by this terrible tragedy and have hole in our hearts that can never be filled.

The driver, a 33-year-old man, was arrested on the scene.

Police tell us he is considered homeless and was driving Nance's suburban.

They say he has  never had a driver's license and admitted to drinking before driving.

Chief Grant says the driver was treated and released back into police custody. 

He is expected to face a judge today for formal charges.