Fire officials say they received the fire call around 5:15 a.m.
Sources say a 13-year-old girl and a 12-year-old boy were in a third story bedroom with two space heaters. Investigators believe the space heaters started the fire.
We're told the 13-year-old tried to get her brother out of the house, but couldn't.
Sources say the mother was at work at the time of the fire.
A 12-year-old boy died early this morning in the Highland Park house fire, the medical examiner confirms. His sister was transported to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.
7 Action News has learned that the boy's sister has been transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation.
A 12-year-old boy died in a house fire in Highland Park early this morning, according to the Wayne County Medical Examiner.
The fire happened at a home in the 200 block of Connecticut.
The fire was reportedly shortly before 8 a.m.