(WXYZ) — A second person has died in Michigan with lung disease and injuries associated with vaping, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services announced Wednesday.
According to the MDHHS, they were notified of the death of an adult male on Tuesday, Nov. 26. They aren't releasing any other details about this death.
- Detroit doctors perform double lung transplant on man with lung damage from vaping
- Hear from Michigan teens weighing in on vaping
- These are test results of vaping products from Michigan lung injury patients
- First death associated with vaping-related lung injury reported in Michigan
“We are deeply saddened to announce a second death associated with this outbreak,” said Dr. Joneigh Khaldun, chief medical executive and chief deputy for health for MDHHS. “We are urging people to refrain from vaping until the specific cause of the vaping-related severe lung injuries being reported nationwide has been identified. To help with this investigation, we are reminding health care providers to report patients that may have this condition to their local health department.”
Since August 2019, there have been 56 confirmed and probable vaping-related lung injury cases reported in Michigan. All are reported in the Lower Peninsula, and the age range is 15-67.
Last month, the state reported the first death associated with vaping in Michigan. It was also an adult male.
The state had banned flavored e-cigarettes, but a judge issued an injunction in August that blocked the ban.
Earlier this week, the state announced it would temporarily stop the sale of marijuana vapes until they could undergo testing under new emergency rules.
According to the department, the MRA will inspect processing facilities twice a month to make sure they are in compliance, and will require licensed safety compliance facilities to test for vitamin E acetate, which is what is believed to be causing the vaping lung injuries.
So far, the state health department has identified 55 cases of lung injures associated to vaping, with one patient requiring a double lung transplant at Detroit's Henry Ford Hospital
About 88 percent of the patients reporting used a product with THC.